Posts

Posts

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Hooray Henri

Sacre Bleu! What a weekend. It was a tale of two Terry's; one missing from the Blue's line-up again and one who has kept the title open.

There I was back from my man flu on Sunday driving down the main street of the Granite City when my Oppo and I spot this mop waving his hands in a frantic manner. Thinking, as usual, that it was some myopic inebriate unable to distinguish between roof mounted Polis sireen and lichties, and a taxi cab we drove on till we decided that maybe his continued gesticulation might mean he actually wanted our Services.

Stop we did to be greeted by an Eastern European reporting that his pedal bike had been stolen from the place where it had been left all weekend on the main street in the metropolis. We decided to advise our Control Room of this i.e. we had a complaint to note from a gentleman with limited grasp of the local twang and that we might not be available for the many wondrous calls they had queued up for us.

As is usual for my esteemed colleagues, sympathy just welled out of them on hearing of our plight - that being that;

  • we had inadvertently stumbled across some work
  • there might be some linguistic barriers
and I was PTP'd (that's Polis speak for a private radio - sorry Airwave terminal - call direct to me cf point to point) by a colleague who took great delight in advising me that with 10 minutes to go it was 1-0 to Man Utd. and that he hoped this didn't make me feel more miserable. I thanked him cordially for his concern.

After some interesting diagrammatic descriptions of his missing transportation (I have to admit my Polish is not too good) I returned to the Office to do the inevitable incident and crime recording (what used to be called paperwork, but it's all on a computer now).

This allowed me ample time to be present to hear that the Gooners had managed to snatch victory from the jaws of defeat thanks to Monsieur Henri and the earlier contribution of Pinky and Persie.

I was that Cheshire cat
Last laugh and all that.

I particularly liked what this Smogmonster had to say on the topic and I have to admit that Fergie summed it up well when he said,

"We have a game less to play and are a goal better off than Chelsea following their 2-0 defeat at Liverpool yesterday. So it's not all doom and gloom."

But it ain't over till.......

No comments: