Posts

Posts

Monday, September 29, 2008

Over-enthusiastic Amateurs


Not my words, but those of the Institute of Occupational Safety and Health.

A while back I posted about the ancient art of conkers.

According to the editorial, the above organisation's sponsoring of this "
life-threatening sport of conkers represents a volte face of quite earth-shattering proportions".

I'm looking forward to some more meaningful volte faces from more important organisations, who might just have had a few decision makers categorised as over-enthusiastic amateurs, but I'm not holding my breath.

© Noddy

Published by Toy Town™ Times

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

As a Safety Officer at work, I hear all manner of unadulterated cr*p about "You can't do that because Elfin Safety say..."

As I was once told, H&S isn't about stopping you from doing things; it's about making sure you can do things for a long time to come. "Sensible risk" is the slogan.

The conker issue is a cause celebre for H&S professionals. Last year (or was it 2006?), the Health & Safety Executive (HSE) put a team into the World Conker Championships. No, they didn't wear safety goggles!

There are many H&S myths, and the HSE are trying to bust them. You can find out more here: http://www.hse.gov.uk/myth/